Monday, May 10, 2010

Roast vegetable salad

Because I had intended to roast vegetables to go with the gnocchi and then changed my mind, I had some cut up pumpkin to do something with. It inspired another idea... a roast vegetable salad that I can eat with tuna for lunches for this week. I started chopping.

I roasted potato, pumpkin and carrot with cumin (whole seeds), smoked paprika, olive oil and salt. When those were done, I dumped them into a bowl and added diced green beans (from the garden), capsicum (from the garden), half a tin of corn and red kidney beans (I'll be using the other half for quesadeas for several dinners this week), celery (from the garden) and rainbow chard (from the garden).

Mixed all around and split into containers, my impromptu roast vegetable salad gives me three generous sized lunches. I'll top each with a can of tuna for a delicious, nutritious and colourful meal. Guess what I'm having for lunch tomorrow!?
And here's the cost breakdown. It's a little pricier than the gnocchi because of the tuna but it's not protein rich enough for me to eat on its own. I also suspect that these serves are going to prove just a touch too generous, so this may end up making four meals.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that salad sounds fantastic! You are such a good improv cook, and your dishes inspire me! Thank you for teaching me the value of growing a garden. I loved being able to go out in your backyard in pick produce. It tastes so much nicer, and there's also the price benefit! And the cumin really is the magic ingredient! I had a bitchfit when mom told me yesterday that she hates it!!! *gasp*

    ReplyDelete